Mission and History
Management and Entrepreneurship for Sustainable Development
ALTIS, the Postgraduate School Business & Society of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore of Milan, is an international research and education centre for the study and promotion of a responsible and competitive business culture.
Founded in 2005 by Prof. Mario Molteni, Professor of Business Administration and Corporate Strategy at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, ALTIS embodies both an openness towards the international world of business and the willingness to effectively serve the interests of the students and enterprises with which it interacts.
For ALTIS Corporate Social Responsibility implies an understanding of:
- the unavoidable implications - economic, social, cultural and environmental - of business' activities;
- the creative tension that exists when business' attempt to reconcile competitive and sustainability goals;
- the importance of the professional and human resources that contribute to a business' success.
The mission of ALTIS is therefore to foster:
- the synthesis of competitiveness and social responsibility;
- the development of entrepreneurs and managers, both experienced and young, to become the protagonists in international sustainable business initiatives;
- the good governance of both for profit and non profit enterprises;
- the collaboration between for profit and non profit initiatives as a tool for economic development.
ALTIS' principle areas of interest are:
- Corporate social and environmental responsibility;
- Business globalization, with particular attention paid to emerging and developing countries;
- International promotion of the business model of "Industrial districts";
- Corporate governance;
- Partnerships between private companies, non-profit organisations and the public sector;
- Management of non-profit organizations.
ALTIS dedicates special attention to those geographical areas which are also of particular interest to the growth of Italian business: Latin America, China, India, Africa and the Mediterranean Region.